Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Happy Fabric Journal with Jean Stambaugh Peter


Today I am sharing with you my process of creating a fabric journal. For a while I had a creative block, but once I started it, it ended up only taking me about two hours to complete.


  




I started by painting on some white on white fabric. 
(See video HERE)
I love this fabric as it changes with dye or paint! I don't know how that fabric is made but it works great as a resist. I did two different techniques as you can see in my video. One, where I spritzed the fabric with water before painting; that created a watercolor look.





I added some pockets and strips and sewed them together using two colors of thread. I added a bit of batting between the painted fabric and the canvas backing to help make the cover a little stiffer. The pages were painted canvas just stacked and sewn in the center.



The quilting is quite wild, following the painted lines with a little doodling in some of the spaces. For me, it’s so hard to do a project without doodling!! To finish it off, two more torn strips were sewn on the edges to give this journal a way to stay closed!



Here’s a flip-through video where I describe in more detail just what I did –    
  


See more of Jean's work by visiting her NEW Youtube channel - CLICK HERE
or visit her blog, Eclectic Avenue








No comments:

Post a Comment